[ale] 1/3 full disk, but it is full?

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Wed Jul 11 09:16:33 EDT 2001

Mel Burslan wrote:

> In the light of this message, one thing comes to mind: How fragmented
> your LARGE files are. Because, if my old knowledge of inodes and linked
> list structures are still serving me good, you are using one inode per
> fragment. And by my gut feeling, large, but really large files, are the
> files accessed and written over many many times by different
> users/processes, which can get badly fragmented. If this is the case,
> you may run out of inodes even with few large files. Just a thought, not
> even worth 2 cents ;-)

I don't think this is correct, but someone else slap me in the head if
they know different.  I believe you get one inode per file, regardless
of size.  There is a link list of sorts that provides linkage between
'file fragments', but that's not the inode.  To test this, I did the
following:

df /home -i
cp VERY_LARGE_FILE foo
df /home -i