[ale] Cross-Platform Document Publishing

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 10 23:13:49 EDT 2001

Fulton Green wrote:

> SGML is basically a superset of XML (or, slightly more accurately, XML is a
> subset of SGML). I don't know a whole lot about the DocBook realm, but I do
> know that there is an open-sourced application called Jade that is supposed
> to make things easier w/r/t the whole SGML/XML/DocBook paradigm. Packages for

Jade is used to generate DocBook kernel API documentation from
the Linux kernel source, for recent kernels anyway. So DocBook
-is- good for something.

FWIW, Gnu Emacs has an SGML major mode, which it uses for all things
SGML-like, including HTML. It works fine for HTML, provided of
course you like Emacs enough to try it. I've never tried using
it on anything else.

-- Joe

> it are included with the latest Red Hat distros, possibly others. Adobe also
> has an SGML add-on for FrameMaker, but I suspect that may be cost-prohibitive
> in your situation.
>
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 09:05:23PM -0400, phrostie wrote:
> > I'm trying to do some docs for someone.
> > i started doing it in ascii text/vi.
> > then i was asked to do it in  sgml.
> >
> > i've looked around for a editor that does sgml.
> > I've looked for a viewer that displays sgml.
> >
> > everyone keeps pointing me at docbook, but my understanding is that it is
> > just a document translator.
> >
> > what's the point of working in a format that nothing sees and nothing writes?

-- Joe Knapka
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
* Evolution is an "unproven theory" in the same sense that gravity is. *