[ale] Apache DNS problems

djinn djinn at djinnspace.com
Tue Jul 10 10:30:15 EDT 2001

I upgraded to apache 1.3.20 two weekends ago on our production server,
which uses entirely name based virtual hosting.

This morning, our primary client can't access their site.  Here's the
setup:  our infamous ISP (yes, those swell fellas who run DNS on NT) has
us "load balancing" using 2 IP addresses...so we've traditionally had
our httpd.conf set up as follows:  (let's just say that our primary IP
is 1.2.3.4 and the secondary is 1.2.9.8)

-------------http.conf---------------------------
NameVirtualHost 1.2.3.4

<VirtualHost name.com>
ServerName name.com
ServerAlias www.name.com
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 1.2.9.8>
ServerName name.com
ServerAlias www.name.com
</VirtualHost>

--------- /etc/hosts -----------------------------
1.2.3.4     servername.domain.com  servername  name.com www.name.com

1.2.9.8     name.com www.name.com

Well, as of 3.45am (when our logs roll and apache restarts), suddenly
last night I'm getting the following error:
[warn] VirtualHost 1.2.9.8:80 overlaps with VirtualHost name.com:80, the
first has precedence, perhaps you need a NameVirtualHost directive

So I added:
NameVirtualHost 1.2.9.8

to httpd.conf...no change.

Any thoughts???  Where should/could I start?  I'm assuming that since
it's been 2 weeks since I upgraded apache, and the office DNS uses the
same DNS servers that are authoritative for these servers, that if it
were apache's fault handling the requests differently it would've shown
up sooner?

Please help...

TIA, as always
jenn