[ale] Linux starter

Transam@cavu.com transam at cavu.com
Mon Jul 9 02:51:50 EDT 2001

"Bourque, Phillip C" <pcb1 at cdc.gov> said:

> Hi Ken

> I am trying to get this qpopper pop daemon up and running.

> What is the difference in a server install or a workstation install when you
> setup Linux 7?

which distribution?  I assume RH (toss your RH7.0 CDs and get 7.1) or
Mandrake.

> I setup a server install yesterday but then when I tried to install the rpm
> for qpopper it did not know what to do with the rpm file.

Each distribution's definition of "server" or "workstation" or "firewall"
is fairly arbitrary.  They each try to guess what programs/services each of
these might run and install that.  Like selecting options on a new car,
each person has different ideas.

Regarding a suggestion to "just install everything", I recommend against it.
Some packages contain set-UID and set-GID programs that offer security holes.
In other cases they may start services that run as root and offer security
holes.

For any system that is accessible from the Internet, after installation turn
off all unneeded services, install all security patches on the rest, and
disable any set-UID or set-GID programs one doesn't need.  Also, take world
write permission from just about any file/dir except for /tmp, /var/tmp, or
/usr/tmp (because these should have the "t" bit set).

> Did I not install something correctly?

> If I want a server install with the xwindows and gui interface and be able
> to install rpm files what addition package should I install?

> Thanks

Bob Toxen
transam at cavu.com                       [Bob's ALE Bulk email]
bob at cavu.com
http://www.cavu.com
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com/ [My book: "Real World Linux Security"]
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.      "Don't go with a fly-by-night outfit!"
Quality Linux & UNIX security and software consulting since 1990.