[ale] NFS with DHCP?

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 6 19:17:08 EDT 2001

aaron wrote:

> Previously, Jeff Hubbs typed into the ether:
> > Aaron -
> > What goes wrong?
>
> "can't find address" with the mount attempts is what I was seeing.
>
> > What happens if you set up fixed IP addresses on both machines
> > and try it?
>
> Hadn't tried that because I thought using DHCP (required for my ADSL
> router/server setup) precluded entering any fixed addressing.

As long as the machines in question have valid IP addresses for
the network segment they are on, it should not matter at all
how they get them (DHCP, BOOTP, fixed address, whatever). The
only exception to this is that if you have dynamic DNS set up,
the DHCP server can inform the DNS server of the names of the
hosts whose addresses it is dynamically assigning, which allows
the DNS names to remain valid across IP reassignments by
DHCP. Statically assigning IP addresses, in this case, prevents
the machines' host names from being associated with the proper
IP addresses in DNS, unless you manually edit the DNS
configuration. However, the machines in question should not
notice any problems, unless they try to refer to one another
by name. They will still, for example, be able to successfully
reach any site on the Internet.

Of course if you are on a network segment with other machines
whose networking configuration you cannot control, assigning
yourself a static IP address is likely to get you into
trouble. But you're on a private net in this case, so you
shouldn't have anything to worry about.

-- Joe

-- Joe Knapka
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
* Evolution is an "unproven theory" in the same sense that gravity is. *