[ale] Trying to repair my X mistakes.............

Michael Smith MSmith at webtonetech.com
Thu Jul 5 08:50:12 EDT 2001

I somehow removed or changed permissions on some file that allows me to run
X as a non root user.  Here is what I am getting:

[shmoe at hercules shmoe]$ startx
Authentication failed - cannot start X server.
Perhaps you do not have console ownership?
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
giving up.
xinit:  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

It's strange that if I run xdm I can use X as any user.  I think I have
issues with my .Xauthority file but I don't know specifically what's wrong.