[ale] Are our Ethernet drivers in danger?

Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net
Wed Jul 4 01:51:45 EDT 2001

On Wed, 4 Jul 2001 00:44:50 -0400 (EDT), Byron A Jeff wrote:

>To clarify, the It above is 'distributed GPL code'. If GPL code, or derivatives
>are distributed, then anyone who receives the code can demand the source,
>modify that source, redistribute that source, or modify and redistribute that
>source.

Exactly.  The limitations of the GPL effectively only kick in when you
distribute the GPLd code.  You can take GPLed code, modify it and use
it in-house without having to disclose your modifications to anyone.
Note that most code written falls into this latter category,
Microsoft's mewling notwithstanding.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman oloryn at benshome.net      | The attempt to legislatively