[ale] FTP/firewall issue

Bob Kruger krugerb at benning.army.mil
Tue Jul 3 12:31:05 EDT 2001

"Joseph A. Knapka" wrote:You need to open connections *to* your machine at ports >1024

> *from* foreign port 21. The way active FTP works is that
> the client makes an outgoing connection to port 20 on the
> server, sends the server a local port number for data connections,
> (chosen more or less at random), and then the server initiates a
> connection to the client on that port from server port 21.
> (What were they thinking...)

Joe;

I enabled the following, and it seems to be doing the trick:

/usr/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -i eth1 -s 192.168.2.0/24 -d 192.168.2.1 -j ACCEPT

I am not exactly sure why, but I can now list the directories.

I appreciate the assistance and the tip.

Regards - Bob Kruger