[ale] NICs with settable MAC addrs?

Steve Throckmorton ttwelve at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 2 10:17:26 EDT 2001

Here's the line from the diagnostics page at scyld.com:

-H 00:11:22:33:44:55
Set the hardware MAC station address to the specified value. This should never be done.

This was my understanding as well, that each MAC address was unique and should be left alone.  This only reason I can think to do this is to replace an older piece of hardware with a newer without some part of the network seeing that it's a new piece.  Is that what this is for?