[ale] Little OT: Blind Future: Advise Wanted

Josh Freeman josh.freeman at arch.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 2 09:33:55 EDT 2001

> And here's another piece of advice you've already received:  take a
> well-rounded curriculum--squeeze in as much writing, literature, history,
> philosophy, foreign language, etc as you possibly can.  EXPAND your mind.

Exactly. I have two bachelor's degrees,  a B.A in English and a B.S in
Computer Science. Along with being a great conversation starter, this
has been of immense benefit, and I believe helped me get promoted not
long after starting my first job. Whatever career path you pursue, your
technical skills or domain knowledge will get you in the door, but your
language and communcations skills will carry you higher. One of the
biggest problems I see in my dealings in the computer field is an
inability to communicate clearly, and if you can do that, you will go
quite far.

Good Luck.
Josh

--