[ale] NICs with settable MAC addrs?

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 2 08:33:03 EDT 2001

> Does anyone know how I can tell if a particular model of NIC (Ethernet card)
> will allow its MAC address to be changed with ifconfig?

I'd advise taking a look at Donald Becker's Linux Ethernet card page at
http://www.scyld.com. Especially take at a look at the diagnostic page.

A nearly foolproof way to tell is to see if the card has EEPROM. If it does,
then that's where the MAC address will be stored, and it can almost always
be changed.

BTW the last card I did this with was a 3Com 3C905.

> I'm building some boxes and I need to know before ordering parts.  Since
> I'm building 1U sytems, I cannot just use any card.

Even if you find docs that indicate that it can be changed, I'd suggest
getting a test unit and verifying.

Hope this helps,

BAJ