[ale] Little OT: Blind Future: Advise Wanted

Douglas Knudsen doug at cubicleman.com
Sun Jul 1 13:08:58 EDT 2001

Go to college!  You can get a 'collage' of knowledge, and spell better too.
:}  IMHO, I would plan on a graduate degree.  The major does not matter too
much for general employment.  For specialized jobs such as chip design,
algorithm design, etc. you will most likely need a specialized degree.  Pick
a major to get into the college, you can always change it later.

It seems that with the new younger generations, a college degree is
synonymous with a high school degree of the past, as in a four year degree
is becoming more ubiquitous.  An MA or MS is not as ubiquitous at the
moment.  If you can do the PhD, go for it.  Take it from an older guy, you
are young, take advantage of that.  Stay in college as long as fucking
possible.  Drink lots of beer and caffeine and keep on top of your grades.
If you drop out and go back later, it is a real god damn pain in the ass.
Oh, and being a former teacher, give your profs and TAs a chance, they do
know what the hell they are talking about.

DK