[ale] Little OT: Blind Future: Advise Wanted

Randolph C. Karrh randy at NewRiverplt.com
Sun Jul 1 10:50:59 EDT 2001

Gentlemen:

We live in a meritocracy. Get every merit badge possible from "BS to MS
to even PhD." During the summers, work for experience.

Go for it!
Randy

On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Steve Throckmorton wrote:

> Bob Slaughter already nailed this, but I have four kids, so this is a
> hot-button thing for me, and I'm gonna get my $.02 in:
>
> Get a 4-year degree at the best school you can scratch/claw/steal (well, maybe
> not steal) your way into.  Go into debt if you must.  If you do, you'll never
> regret it; if you don't, you will spend the rest of you career wishing you had.
> College does a lot more than just pour four more years of facts into your head
> (though this is in itself highly-underrated); it gives you confidence,
> connections, and a very valuable piece of paper.
>
> Real life works like this:  position X opens up at Highly Desirable Inc.
> Position X pays well.  Position X gets to play with computers a lot.  Position
> X will draw applicants like flies.  Polly Personnel needs some way to thin out
> the crowd; she decides to pile on the 'requirements'.  The very first thing
> that will go on the list is 'bachelor's degree'.  Every time.
>
> If you don't get a 4-year degree, some people will assume you are too stupid or
> lazy to get one.  Even if that doesn't bother you most of the time, it will
> when a potential employer assumes it.
>
> But there's more to this than just the consequences of NOT going; there's some
> serious upside TO going to college.  For instance, you get to put off entering
> the mainstream workforce for four years; college (even if you have to work your
> way through it) is just plain more FUN than 5-days-a-week-10-hours-a-day.  You
> get to learn a lot of interesting things and play with children your own age
> (this isn't a slam--I would use the same turn of phrase if I were talking to a
> 60-year-old; it's just how I talk).
>
> And here's another piece of advice you've already received:  take a
> well-rounded curriculum--squeeze in as much writing, literature, history,
> philosophy, foreign language, etc as you possibly can.  EXPAND your mind.  It
> truly is the difference between being a useful cog in the machine and being the
> kind of person who can make a real splash in the world.  Example:  Richard
> Stallman is one of the greatest hackers in the world (I'm assuming you know who
> RMS is), but his bachelor's degree is in physics, and his current
> pre-occupation is with politics.  Example two:  Frederick P. Brooks Jr. ran the
> System/360 and OS/360 projects for IBM in the sixties, then quit and wrote The
> Mythical Man-Month.  If you've never read this book, I highly recommend you do,
> not just for the still-current insights into software development, but as the
> highest evolution of technical writing.  I cannot say enough about the book;
> read it and be inspired to think at a higher, clearer, more insightful level.
> And, I hope, be inspired to go get an education that will allow you to produce
> work like that.
>
> Good luck,
> Steve
>

> --- Gary Lawler <glawlert6 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]

Randolph C. Karrh Jr.   "May the world work for you and not against you!"

Concepts2020.com
P.O. Box 2124                   office   843.684.3874
Savannah Ga. 31402              fax      843.784.6232