[ale] Little OT: Blind Future: Advise Wanted

Leonard Thornton leonard at intelis-inc.net
Sun Jul 1 09:34:56 EDT 2001

On Sun, 01 Jul 2001, you wrote:
> If every thing goes well I will graduate December 2001. I am interested
> in knowing, from you who have been there and/or know what employers are
> looking for, should I go to collage and pursue a degree in computer
> science? If yes, would a four or two year be enough?
>
> Or, I can skip collage and go get the certifications? Which
> certifications should I look more into? Any additional advise would be
> welcome!!! Hind site is 20/20

<Climbs up on Soapbox...>

Go to college!  Get the degree!  Don't make the mistakes I did......

<Falls off of soapbox...>

A long time ago (and I won't say HOW long...), I got out of high school, went
off to college to get that sheepskin (Major in CS, minor in Business).  I got
to school, went to classes and was BORED OUT OF MY SKULL!!!!  The subject
matter (I thought) was irrelevent, the instructors (I thought) moronic and the
general material useless.  Maybe so....maybe not.....that was not the point, I
later learned.  Suffice it to say, I lasted 2 semesters before blowing it off
and going out into the real world.....

Now, fast forward (and I won't say HOW FAR FORWARD....) to the present day.
Looking in the rear view mirror I can tell you for a fact that I have had to be
twice as smart, twice as good and worked 3 times as hard as those people with
degrees to get to the same level.  Why, you may ask?  Like it or not, fair or
not, the piece of paper carries a lot more weight and influence in the first
10-15 years of your career than any experience you may have.  When looking at
two equally experienced candidates, one with a degree and one without, the one
with the degree will win 9 out of 10 times.  Does it mean he knows more?  Not
necessarily...  Can he do more?  Maybe, maybe not...

The degree will do 3 things for you.  It will immediately get your foot in the
door at a lot more places than without a degree.  A lot of companies will not
talk to you without a degree, regardless of what you know or what you can do.
PERIOD.  Secondly, when it is a choice between two equally qualified
candidates, that degree can be the deciding factor getting you in the door.
And lastly, when it comes time to promote someone, the guy without the degree
doesn't stand a chance...

If you decide not to get the degree, you had better plan to start your own
company and work for yourself.  Otherwise your opportunities will be severely
restricted.

Just my $.02 and worth every bit you paid for it.

--
The difficult while you wait ... The impossible overnight ...

Leonard Thornton
Intelis, Inc
leonard at intelis-inc.net