[ale] Network setup

Robert Heaven robertheaven at mediaone.net
Wed Jan 31 07:55:25 EST 2001

On each machine type "ifconfig" to verify the
ethers are "UP", are both on the same subnet and both have the same subnet mask.
If they're not up, you have a configuration problem.

Also, check the /var/log/messages file to see if
their are any error messages.
<BLOCKQUOTE

  I've set up a network with 2 machines. Each
  machine has an ethernet card(eth8029) and they are connected by means of
  a cable. Now this setup works fine on Windows, but each machine cannot detect
  the other in Linux. I've setup the device drivers and the devices are
  initialised. When I try to ping the other machine it says "Destination host
  unreachable"
  Could some one help me out on this?

  Thanks,
  Rajani