[ale] Graphics upon bootup

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Mon Jan 8 14:15:44 EST 2001

To enable, you need to have kernel-level framebuffer support (module or
otherwise). I'm not using a very modern vidchip, so I use the VESA fb module.
To explicitly enable it at boot time, I use the "vga=792" parameter (the
792 represents 1024x768x24-bit color) for LOADLIN (suitable for lilo as
well). RTFM somewhere under /usr/src/linux/Documentation.

If you're "rolling your own" kernel, the logo is in an XBM-compatible header
file that gets compiled directly into the kernel. Red Hat hacked this up in
7.0 to allow for a customised boot-time screen. The graphics file is in PC
Paintbrush (PCX) format (this was discovered by someone else on this list).

HTH.