[ale] using "chage" to disable accounts

ChrisColeman at mail.clayton.edu ChrisColeman at mail.clayton.edu
Wed Jan 3 17:15:05 EST 2001

Hi,

I'm trying to use `chage` to disable accounts on a certain date. This is on
a Redhat 6.2 system. When I issue the command  `chage -E 2000-12-31
user_name`. Then I used `chage -l user_name` to list the parameters. It
shows the following:

Minimum:        0
Maximum:        99999
Warning:        7
Inactive:       -1
Last Change:            Jan 03, 2001
Password Expires:       Never
Password Inactive:      Never
Account Expires:        Jun 24, 1975

If I use chage interactively, it sets the correct date for the account to be
expired, however, users can log in after the account should have expired.

I found the chage is part of the shadow-utils-19990827-10 package. I could
not find any updates for this package. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Chris Coleman
School of Technology
Clayton College and State University