[ale] PC Camera & Linux

Robert Butera rbutera at ece.gatech.edu
Mon Feb 26 10:38:12 EST 2001

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, David S. Jackson wrote:

> Just wanted to know if anyone has used any of the PC Cameras with
> Linux.  In particular, I'm looking at the Intel PC Cameras, like
> the EZ or Pro cameras that use USB connections.  Or are there any
> other video type camera devices that work well with Linux?  Any
> related websites?

Check out www.linux-usb.org.

Click around, and there is a listing of supported cameras and driver status.

One of my students has set up a Phillips camera connected to a Linux box.
While the driver is closed-source (developer had to sign an NDA), it is a
very well written driver.  It does very clean 30fps at 320x240 and 10fps
at 640x480, and includes a nice interactive client for all the "typical"
things (periodic snapshots, autoupload to ftp server, usual video controls).

Robert Butera, Assistant Professor
Institute for Bioengineering and Biosciences
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, 30332-0363 USA
--> http://www.ece.gatech.edu/users/rbutera/