[ale] uptime?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 24 20:05:21 EST 2001

Gary, et.al.,

I think it is generally accepted by all ALE'rs that any of us who
associate with WinNT do so from a non-preferential standing.  I did not
mean to imply that you loved your job. ;)

> The point of having routine reboot is to clear pending
> problems (like memory leaks) before they become
> show-stoppers.

I did find this one comment by you utterly offensive.  Especially to
those of us who consider systems management a science, not a science
project.  Just the thought of "Reboot-to-Restore-Resources" RtRR (c)
being associated with good job skills sends a shiver up my spine.
Imagine if you had to periodically shut your $30,000 car off, as you
were driving down the interstate, to reset unintended leaks.  You would
have a vicious attitude towards Detroit for insulting you with such a
lousy design.  Hmmm, Maybe that's why sales guys from Redmond remind me
of car salesmen. :)

-Jim P.