[ale] uptime?

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Fri Feb 23 06:33:44 EST 2001

Thompson Freeman wrote:

> 1) Single machine uptime (time between reboots) is of very limited value
> as a figure of merit with respect to the stability of the software.

As I've noted in earlier posts, memory leaks are problems that build
upon themselves over time, and therefore, eventually will bring your
machine down.  That being said, extended uptimes is a very good
indicator of a robust memory management system.

Generally, memory leaks can be attributed to applications more so than
operating systems, still poorly designed memory management on the OS end
can certainly reduce the length between reboots/crashes.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein