[ale] uptime?

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Thu Feb 22 14:44:20 EST 2001

I started working with NT in 1995 and I had occasion to observe the trials
and tribulations of our site contractor as they tried to incorporate NT into
a primarily-NetWare environment.

They quickly adopted the one-NT-server-for-everything school of thought,
which I felt stemmed in part from their use of NetWare systems.  I
personally was hardware-limited; it took me over a year to gain enough
buy-in to obtain (build, actually) a system specifically for the purpose of
running NT Server, and the situation was basically this:  if I wanted some
software running under NT Server, that's the box it had to go on.  So, I
fell into the OTHER, run-every-thing-and-its-brother-on-it school.  I got
pretty good at understanding the limitations, logistical- and
performance-wise, of doing this and I never reached an out-and-out conflict
situation between two apps.  The closest I came was when I had put the
Option Pack on and had enabled the NNTP server, at which time the memory
consumption shot through the roof, even with 1GB RAM.  It turned out that
the NNTP server just acted that way, grabbing some huge amount of available
RAM whether it really needed to or not, but suffice it to say that if I had
had to run that service, I wouldn't want to run much else on that same
system.

These days, I've leaned a bit more to the other side.  For one thing, I've
started working with Linux a lot, and for another, even real powerful
machines (even 2-way SMP) are pretty much commodity items now.  This makes
me want to purpose-build boxes - give myself headroom where I might need it
and give myself none when I know I won't.  Then there are junkers; the PDC
and BDC for the NT domain I run do almost nothing but those tasks - one is a
P/200 and the other a P/120.  I don't do anything to them, they run
endlessly, and I let them.