[ale] One app per machine - uptime

Thorsten Hofrichter thholr at alef.gcsu.edu
Thu Feb 22 12:27:49 EST 2001

Some interesting points here. First my opinion on uptime, I think uptime
should be more a measure of what percentage of time the app is available
to the people who need it rather than how long the machine has been up.
All system need maintenance and you have to reboot for most of that .
Secondly one app per machine is a great idea. The only problem arises when
you are talking about lots of apps , then you suddenly need lots of
machines and that can be costly . If you are just running of mainly
smaller intel servers you are fine cause they are cheap , but when you are
talking about $50,000 - $500,000 servers it is not. They are made to
handle more of a workload, just depends on the app. Just depends on size
of the app , it is hard to just say one app per machine.
just me 2 cents

Thorsten Hofrichter
AIX System Administrator
IKON Data Center