[ale] uptime?

Grant Anderson Grant.Anderson at w7optics.com
Thu Feb 22 11:27:25 EST 2001

My turn.

I think that uptime is important.  When was the last time your car died on you?

Uptime was important to you then I would suspect.  Otherwise you take if for

granted.

Also, if you are used to your car being in the shop every month, then it's not

unusual for you.  It would be unusual then, however, to go a year without having

to take the car in.

In my experience, and in the cumulative experience others have reported to me,

Windows boxes have more problems with memory leaks and thus need to be rebooted

more often than Unix boxes.  One can always find exceptions to this but this does

not change the reality.  One also does not see NT/2000 boxes replacing high end

Unix boxes in enterprise server situations.  (Maybe one day...maybe not.)

One can argue back and forth, swap "exceptional" tales and experiences, and kick

the subject around or even to death.  What I see out in the field is that NT/2000

boxes have to be rebooted much more often than Unix and Linux boxes.  This speaks

favorably for Unix/Linux in this regard.

>From a personal experience standpoint I regularly have had throughout the last

couple of years have had to reboot my NT/2000 workstations and servers and I'm

quite tired of it.  I wish Microsoft would fix this.  Anyone that has an NT box

up and running for months or years is, in my opinion, lucky and should be happy

with such fortuitous good fortune.

I also think that all current operating systems should be more robust, have more

uptime, and have less need for rebooting.  Linux is very good in this regard but

there is room for improvement I'm sure.

There I did it....stated my opinions....fanned the flames of THE UPTIME WAR and

the MICROSOFT - NT WAR....and who knows what else?!

Compute in Peace,

   Grant