[ale] uptime?

Jonathan Rickman infosec at alltel.net
Thu Feb 22 09:34:08 EST 2001

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> Agreed again, until you realize that absence of an uptime is what
> impacts your customers/clients/co-workers and ultimately a bottom line
> somewhere.

Fair enough.

> I have to object to your examples of stable WinNT 'systems'.  WINS &
> DNS are minor (majorly minor) apps.  You might have a leg to stand on
> if you could say the same thing about a WinNT webserver (IIS or
> Apache), and more so if it was one that did something productive.

You wont find me defending NT very often. Like I said, uptime depends on
many things. System load is a major factor. In fact...probably the most
important factor.

However, the NT/Exchange servers I mentioned towards the end of my rant
have a considerable (over 10000 heavy users) load on them and they get
along just fine. Just checked with one of the admins...he says that as of
today, 4 out of 7 have been up since last May. One of those is running
IIS4 for Outlook Web Access and recieving around 13,000 page hits per day.

Flame on...

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security