[ale] OT: gohip.com is evil

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 19 19:56:00 EST 2001

I'm having a problem with a site called "gohip.com". Apparently
one of my family members went there in Netscape on our Win98 box
one day, and now the site plagues us continually: everyone's
home pages get set to gohip.com whenever the machine shuts
down, and manually changing them back *doesn't work*. And as soon
as you open the browser, it starts a Java applet that randomly
pops up advertising windows unless you open the task list
and kill every Netscape task in sight. I'm getting mad just
writing about it!

I thought I had ironed this out the other day by manually
deleting all my users' netscape\users\<name>\prefs.js files,
but when I rebooted the machine today everything was gohip,
gohip, f**king gohip!

Am I going to have to re-install Windows (shudder) on this
machine to get rid of this sh*t or what?

-- Joe Knapka