[ale] any dosemu guru's out there?

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 18 12:08:21 EST 2001

Phrostie wrote:

> I have a number of programs that i would like to run under dosemu.
> many of them seem to get this error:
>
> Phar Lap err 35: The 386 chip is currently executing
> in virtual 8086 mode under the control of another program.  You must turn
> off this other program in order to use 386¦DOS-Extender to run in
> protected mode.
>
> how can i get around this?

Since Linux is already running the machine in protected mode,
I think any DOS program that attempts to enter protected mode
is doomed to failure. DOSEMU isn't a hardware emulator like
VMWare; it's actually executing native 8086 code on the
real hardware, in virtual 8086 mode, so there are pretty
severe constraints on the things it can do.

I expect VMWare would be the right answer for you, though
I have no experience with it.

-- Joe Knapka