[ale] Routing out to multiple NIC's

James P . Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Feb 16 08:39:56 EST 2001

I'm spinning my gears on this. Gateway machine has 3 connected NIC's. eth0 is
local LAN only, eth1 is static IP Internet, eth2 is high-speed DHCP Internet.
Goal: Allow incomming packets on eth1 only (easy) and return packets out on
eth1 only (not working, all outbound packets dropped)
Not allow incomming packets on eth2 (easy) and force all eth0 traffic out eth2
(works OK if default route eth2)
All traffic originating from local host must go out eth2 (problem, only works
with defaut route eth2).

It looks like a routing problem. I can see ICMP packets arriving in on eth1
(log files getting crowded) then they go through the OUTPUT table and get dropped.
Somewhere the routing is trying to send them out the default route of eth2 with
eth1 addressing (I think). If I delete eth2 default route, no traffic uses eth2
(But my mail works ;)

I've been reading HOW-TO's and books 'till I'm nearly blind. It seems like
iptables should be able to handle this OK if the routing were not so dependent on
default gateways.

Suggestions, pointers, assistance are elcome and encouraged. Comments
concerning my low sanity are redundant.