[ale] Digital Camera Help

Perry perryw at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 12 10:57:34 EST 2001

At 08:35 AM 2/12/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>I am about to go out and purchase a digital camera.  I am looking for
>something in the $300-$400 range.  With that in mind, I think the Mavica
>can be left out.  What other camera would have the ease of being able to
>be used in Windoze and Linux?  I'm guessing it would be one w/ a USB
>connection.

Izzie, I have a Canon S100 Digital Elph camera that works like a charm
under Linux and Windows.  Slightly out of your price range at $440 at
www.buy.com, but I love it.  It's about the length and width of a pack of
cigarettes, but a wee bit thicker.  Tiny.  It uses USB and comes with a 8MB
CF card.  Takes pictures at 1600x1200 or 640x480, nothing in
between.  That's fine for me, I like the bigger format and can then resize
to suit my needs.

gPhoto, http://www.gphoto.org/, is a software package that supports tons of
digital cameras, both serial and USB.  It didn't seem to like my S100, so I
tracked down another program on freshmeat that gives me a shell for
accessing the camera.  Just cp the pictures right off it.  Pretty cool.

-- perry