[ale] Did It!!

I. Herman izzmo at mediaone.net
Mon Feb 12 08:30:21 EST 2001

Hey out there...not
a major step, but a hint in the "right" direction.
<FONT face=Arial
size=2>
I am a server admin
working on our company's GPRS project.  They wanted a server for testing
and were about to use a NT box to setup to test with.  So.....after a quick
discussion with our engineering dept., I talked them into allowing me to use
that NT box and make it a Linux box for testing.
<FONT face=Arial
size=2>
1 - I get to wipe
Windows off a computer @ work -- bonus.
2 -  I will be
making a FTP, Telnet, Apache, WAP server on that.
<FONT face=Arial
size=2>
I've never done WAP
scripting before, but since I get to start @ the bottom floor of this GPRS
thing, and am new to the wireless industry, it'll be a good experience.

<FONT face=Arial
size=2>
So, in a matter of
speaking....I guess Linux made it's way into the wireless GPRS world (even if
it's just for testing).
<FONT face=Arial
size=2>
But, as James
said...."Changing the mobile computing world, one Linux user at a time."  I
am trying my personal time to get the GPRS phones working with Linux, just to
see if I can get it done.  One brand we have, I am thinking won't be too
hard...but I do have a question:
<FONT face=Arial
size=2>
If I connect to a
serial port, and usually have to put the init strings in manually anyway....in
theory, should I be able to use that along w/ PPP? (via minicom or something
similar)
<FONT face=Arial
size=2>
Have fun