[ale] Q: X-Window System login from iMac

joshy joshy at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 8 14:40:26 EST 2001

> I have a LAN with an iMac and a Linux box running X11 (XFree86 server),
> and I would like to log into the X11 box from the iMac and run X-Window
> applications. Can someone suggest a simple approach to run Linux X-apps
> from the iMac, preferably making good use of the MacOS-8.6 window manager?
> Running over SSH would be particularly handy. I would like to export apps
> like GIMP ('GNU Image Manipulation Program') which are fundamentally
> graphical, though not animated.
>
> I now use SSH-Telnet for console logins from the iMac and it works fine.
>
> I have looked into VNC and VNCThing, but X11 displays are fundamentally
> exportable, so why add another layer?
>
> The Linux box runs 'xdm' for local logins, and I expect it could offer X11
> sessions over the LAN (or over the net at-large, for that matter). Again,
> SSH is attractive for this.

I've been using VNC and been very happy with it. Yes, X11 is already
exportable, but VNC seems faster for graphics heavy things because
it passes straight bitmaps and leaves all of the rendering to be done
on the server side. This also means you don't have any issues with X
extensions or fonts.  The other advantage of VNC over straight X11 is
when the connection goes down. With VNC you can restart the connection
and everything is still there. With X the apps quit (or crash). My
ADSL connection kept going down so I switched to VNC and it's been
smooth sailing ever since.  I made a little script to use SSH as a
poorman's VPN to work. Now I can run apps on my workstation, through ADSL
to my home linux box, through ethernet to my basestation, and over AirPort
to my iBook while I lounge on the patio.

I can post more info on my setup if anyone wants it.

- Joshua

--
joshyBlog
http://marinacci.org/~joshy/