[ale] Q: X-Window System login from iMac

John Mills john at mills-atl.com
Thu Feb 8 14:31:02 EST 2001

Hello -

I have a LAN with an iMac and a Linux box running X11 (XFree86 server),
and I would like to log into the X11 box from the iMac and run X-Window
applications. Can someone suggest a simple approach to run Linux X-apps
from the iMac, preferably making good use of the MacOS-8.6 window manager?
Running over SSH would be particularly handy. I would like to export apps
like GIMP ('GNU Image Manipulation Program') which are fundamentally
graphical, though not animated.

I now use SSH-Telnet for console logins from the iMac and it works fine.

I have looked into VNC and VNCThing, but X11 displays are fundamentally
exportable, so why add another layer?

The Linux box runs 'xdm' for local logins, and I expect it could offer X11
sessions over the LAN (or over the net at-large, for that matter). Again,
SSH is attractive for this.

--
TIA for any comments -
 John Mills