[ale] Trouble using makefile on Caldera eDesktop 2.4

Ron Nottingham nottingham at alltel.net
Thu Feb 8 10:04:33 EST 2001

I'm still new to all this Linux stuff :-) and I'm trying to access my Win98
partition from Linux.  The vfat.o says it was compiled for version 2.2.14
and I have version 2.2.14-3.  OK...  So I find where the .c files are
located to recompile for my version.  The files that are in the
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/fs/vfat directory are: Makefile  namei.c
vfatfs_syms.c
The following is the contents of Makefile:

# BOF
#
# Makefile for the linux vfat-filesystem routines
#
# Note! Dependencies are done automagically by 'make dep', which also
# removes any old dependencies. DON'T put your own dependencies here
# unless it's something special (ie not a .c file).
#
# Note 2! The CFLAGS definitions are now in the main makefile...

O_TARGET := vfat.o
O_OBJS := namei.o
OX_OBJS := vfatfs_syms.o
M_OBJS := $(O_TARGET)

include $(TOPDIR)/Rules.make
#EOF

When I execute makefile, I get an error stating: bash: makefile: command not
found
When I execute make vfat.o, I get this error:

Makefile:15: /Rules.make: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `/Rules.make'.  Stop.

Any help would really be appreciated.  BTW, it's been may years since I've
done anything with C, I got caught up with all the Windoze crap and did
everything Visually :-(  But I've seen the light!

TIA!!!
Ron N. - Dalton, GA