[ale] Napster blocking

Lathe magius at wittsend.com
Mon Feb 5 01:14:05 EST 2001

6699 is used to conduct initial connection requests.  There are a lot of
"hack-arounds" out there to bypass them.  One thing that stands out would be
to conduct blocks on a host basis.  The napster site maintains the list of
files that are sent upon connection. and is then searched through a randomly
generated port#.

This is a good sight on a lot of the work-arounds and may shed some
additional light on detection.  Also, there are some security
implementations out there that have the ability to detect napster and
gnapster and knapster and the slew of others, heh.  ISS RealSecure can do
it, but I'd but a couple other might have thought about trying the detection
methods to.

http://music.zdnet.com/features/napstersecrets/

Scott Warfield