[ale] Server opinion please

Gary S MacKay gary at edisoninfo.com
Thu Feb 1 08:13:57 EST 2001

I'm in the process of setting up a web server to host multiple sites. I'm
just getting started in this area so I don't want to sink a ton of money in
to start with. On the same token, I don't want to damage the project by
using cheap junk either. Have said all that, does any one have a
recommendation between the following two machines? I will be using
linux/apache/php/mysql/etc.

One is the HP E800 w/128mg ram, the other is a Compaq Proliant ML350 w/256mg
ram. All else appears the same: non hot-swap drive bays, cdrom, 800mhz
processor w/9g hd and a 24DAT drive. The HP is roughly $2200 and the Compaq
is roughly $2400. I could probably purchase an additional 128mg ram for the
HP to make them equal and be close to the same $2400 I'm guessing.

So, it appears that these are almost exact duplicates, just from different
manufacturers.

Which is the better deal?

Will upgrading hard drives or memory kill me on one more than the other?

Will loading Linux on one be better than the other?

Am I better off to custom build a box myself for this kind of money?

- Gary