[ale] OT: Win95 Death March

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Mon Dec 31 13:26:48 EST 2001

Thanks to all who replied.

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Robert Heaven wrote:

> Win95 does not have software built-in for zip and cdrom hardware. You'll
> have to get the drivers from the internet. The cdrom driver is called
> MSCDEX, I can't remember what the zip was called.

<EXPRESSION MOUTH="SILLY GRIN" COMPLEXION="BLUSH">
Some rummaging located the installation set for the ZIP drive, and a bit
of net crawling and deeper rummaging dug out MSCDEX.exe and the
installation diskette for a long-gone ATAPI CD, which ought to get me back
on track.
</EXPRESSION>

I was blindsided by the not-usable DOS partitioning which somehow came up
with usable drivers for CDROM and ZIP. This is one of life's mysteries I
don't expect to go back and try to unravel.

GL/GoldStar didn't provide a Win95 driver, bless their pointed heads: just
a note that I needed to get one from the manufacturer. Thanks, GL.

Thanks again ALE - I'll be back on this if the CD-RW bites me again.

[Putting in cdroast RSN ('_Real_Soon_Now_').]

 Regards -
 John Mills