[ale] Re: Royalty among us -- LoTR here in Atl, GA!

Paul Kinsley paul at motionrealityinc.com
Mon Dec 31 09:52:48 EST 2001

Sorry for the delay in answering.  I did not forward my mail.

The technology was used quite a bit in the Fellowship, and
will be used even more in the subsequent movies.  The massive
battles scenes were done with "sprites" driven by motion capture
data.  The scene where the Fellowship is walking up the stairs
in Galadriels Forest was Motion Capture.

I am not sure what else was in the first movie, but it will be
exciting to see how far they can take it in the next one.  Weta has
done some amazing things with the motion capture.

But if its done right, you won't notice it.  I just makes things look
more "real"

Some of the original proof of concept work for the special effects was
done here in Marietta.  You can see a picture of our lab in the "Making
of" Quicktime that is on the web.  Peter Jackson said that the
technology made it possible to consider making the movie at all.

Some other places the technology has been used:

The second and third "Batman" movies.
Some video games by aklaim.
One of the "Mortal Combat" movies.
The "Power Rangers" movie.

We also do a lot of work in Motion Capture for sports
performance and medicine.

--
Paul Kinsley
Senior Systems Engineer