[ale] tk

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 28 14:59:51 EST 2001

"Tommie M. Jones" wrote:

> Stupid question here.
> I am interested in doing some Gui programming with C.  I was thinking
> along the lines of using Tk.  I see a lot of references with perl/tk,
> python/tk, and of course tcl/tk.  does anyone have a pointer to
> programming tk in C.

There's always

Ousterhout, John, "Tcl and the Tk Toolkit", Addison-Wesley, 1994.

Specifically "Part III: Writing Tcl Applications in C", which
discusses integration of C code with Tcl/Tk.

To be totally up-to-date, you'd need to consult the most
recent Tcl/Tk documentation. Tcl's C API has changed a lot
in the past few years. The Tcl/Tk distribution contains
complete API docs.

Incidentally, the Python/Tk binding uses an embedded Tcl
interpreter to do the dirty work, so it's not using the
Tk C API directly. I'm not sure about Perl/Tk.

Cheers,

-- Joe
"I should like to close this book by sticking out any part of my neck
 which is not yet exposed, and making a few predictions about how the
 problem of quantum gravity will in the end be solved."
 --- Physicist Lee Smolin, "Three Roads to Quantum Gravity"