[ale] hosts.deny and portmap

Jimmie Fulton JFulton at ehso.emory.edu
Sun Dec 23 00:26:50 EST 2001

I was reading throught the nfs-howto about securing portmap.  I have tried:
portmap: ALL
and /or
ALL: ALL

in hosts.deny; my hosts.allow is blank.  Even still rpcinfo -p from any host
still lists the available ports.  man portmap says to use hosts.allow and
hosts.deny for security.

The nfs-howto also suggests a strings on portmap for hosts.allow and
hosts.deny to see if it uses them.  Neither of those strings show up.

This system is a currently updated Debian Woody.  Any ideas on why
hosts.deny doesn't seem to work for portmap?

Thanks