[ale] ttyp0: Operation not permitted

rhiannen rhiannen at atlantacon.org
Wed Dec 19 11:22:53 EST 2001

Thanks for the input, in response to a few of the questions:
For past 48+ hours, the error would occur every time Eterm was opened,
didn't matter if other instances were running or not, or how many
instances had been opened per session.  Further trivia: Eterm ver
0.8.10, bash 2.05 - same as my desktop & a few of the other 2.2.19
machines in the house, haven't seen this issue with any of our other
installs of Slack.

I can't seem to find any mention/switches in the man pages, docs, or
/usr/X11R6/share/Eterm/themes/Eterm/MAIN that remotely relate to
kernel version or tty devices.  Also, what do you mean by "assuming
the 2.4 paradigm"?

After playing with the irritation on & off for the past two days,
including numerous restarts of X &/or Enlightenment, & even a couple
of reboots (well, it *is* a laptop), it was still happening when I
locked screen last night.  This morning, just unlocked the screen - no
restart, no reboot - and it appears the error message was gone, just
'poof'.

So, since loose ends bother me, I opened up numerous instances of
Eterm - no errors.  Closed all instances.
Opened numerous instances of Eterm, xterm, & Gnome Terminal - no
annoying error message anywhere.
Closed all terms, reopened Eterm, no error, opened another Eterm -
error message is back.
But now it's only happening on the 2nd (3rd, 4th, etc.) instances of
Eterm, not the original (ttyp0), which is how it originally started.
It is Not now happening to other terminals, just Eterm.

Still logged in as user, not root, run Eterm --debug, again, but this
time it's now giving something useful:
Restoring /dev/ttyp2 to mode 20666, uid 0, gid 0
chmod("/dev/ttyp2", 20666) failed: Operation not permitted
chown("/dev/ttyp2", 0, 0) failed: Operation not permitted

Sure enough, go back to /dev/ttyp* & the permissions & owner.group on
ttyp2 had changed to root.tty, chmod 0744.   Changed the owner.group &
permissions back. Error goes away.  So, time to play some. Opening the
term instances doesn't seem to change permissions, but, running
'Eterm --debug ' Does change permissions; to root.tty, chmod 0744.
(Interestingly, doesn't matter if --debug is run as root or as user -
above error happens either way.)
(Oddly, though, I hadn't run debug, either as user or as root, during
the first 36 hours of the problem, so Something caused it before
debug... hmmm)

Anyway, played with ttyp2 - ttyp5 for a bit.
username.tty, chmod 0620 - error goes away - But,
username.tty, chmod 0644 - error comes back
username.tty, chmod 0744 - error comes back
username.tty, chmod 0777 - error comes back
root.tty, chmod 0620 - error comes back
root.tty, chmod 0744 - error comes back

Ok, can somewhat understand the group issue, but still a little
confused as to why Less restrictive permissions (owner, group, user
r/w or even r/w/x) cause the error, but tighter, more restrictive
permissions (owner r/w, group r, user nada) Don't.

Also, altho it's kludged for now, I'm Still curious as to what caused
the problem in the first place.  In the meantime, looks like it may be
time to reinstall Eterm.

rhia
knowledge is power - arm yourself