[ale] About that firewall machine [Was]Re: [ale] unidentifiedprocesses

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Wed Dec 19 09:19:57 EST 2001

On Wednesday 19 December 2001 08:51 am, you wrote:
> John Wells wrote:
> > I'm interested in power consumption as well.  I've
> > finally got my laptop router working well, but I
> > really hate to leave it on 'round the clock if I'm
> > throwing money out the window.
> >
> > I'm assuming Radio Shack would be the place to find a
> > meter like this?
>
> Yeah, but I've not seen a cheap amp meter.  Standard vom meters you can
> get for $10 at radio shack don't usually handle large currents ac
> currents.  I've not priced them in a while, but last time I checked,
> they run > $100.

Last time I was in a Radio Shack, they had the 'clamp-on' style ammeter
for about $70, I think. OTOH, that $70 would probably buy a year's worth
of electricity for your computer (unless you're in California).

If you're really concerned with saving electricity, John, turn off the
refrigerator!

Regards,
Irv