[ale] modem busy

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Dec 17 09:29:12 EST 2001

Irv Mullins wrote:

> On Sunday 16 December 2001 09:14 pm
>
> > lee wrote:
> > > Ok..with  Mandrake 8.1,using kppp, I get a "modem is busy" error message.
> > > A fresh install even,right outta the box it says this..configged by the
> > > book,or so I believe..lol. Probably my 1st mistake there..lol.
> > >
> > > Now I've seen this before and if my life was at stake I can not remember
> > > how I fixed this the last time !!  Does this message ring a bell with
> > > anyone?
>
> I just had the same problem when installing M 8.1. I 'fixed' it by simply
> rm /dev/modem and then creating a new one: lln -s /dev/ttyS4 /dev/modem
> I have no idea *why* that worked, but it did.

I suspect that it was either linked to the wrong device, or it was a
broken link.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users
that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html