[ale] speaking of DSL routers

John Wells jbwellsiv at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 12 11:00:06 EST 2001

I have been working on setting up one of my old
laptops as a linux router/firewall, but with the
recent discussion of hardware routers I've been
questioning my decision.

Generally, what are the benefits of going with
something like a Linksys DSL router versus using a
pc-based system?  I'm at the point where I need to buy
an additional pcmcia card to enable the router and
plug it in to my switch, but I'm starting to wonder if
it might be the best idea to just go ahead and
purchase a DSL router.

I assume one of the benefits is that the router would
use substantially less electricity than a pc (could
someone who has one verify this?).  What are some  of
the other benefits/drawbacks?

Thanks,
John