[ale] ximian

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Dec 12 10:01:47 EST 2001

On Wed, 2001-12-12 at 09:47, John Wells wrote:
> Made the mistake of installing ximian Gnome on one of
> my RH 7.1 machines.  Now I'd like to uninstall....but
> since ximian is really a different version of Gnome I
> think I'll actually have to remove Gnome and reinstall
> it.
>
> Has anyone tried this?  Is there a simple way?  Boy,
> wish RedHat had aptget...

I've done this before. Basically did a
"rpm -qa | grep ximian | xargs rpm --force -e"
and then re-installed gnome from the redhat CDs.

ximian does NOT unstall gracefully. You pretty much have to trash Gnome
and try again.

I strongly recommend downloading the InDependence package for readhat.
Gives you a transitive closer program to figure out true dependencies on
rpms (rpmtc).
And there is an rpm-get I think

Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu)
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/
        "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. But Glory. Glory lasts forever."