[ale] XP and Samba

jeff hubbs hbbs at mediaone.net
Mon Dec 10 22:49:22 EST 2001

No.  NetBios and NetBEUI are two different things.  They're in two
different levels of the TCP/IP stack.  I think NetBios is Application
Layer whereas NetBEUI is lower down (Network?)  NetBEUI is roughly
analogous to TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, DECNET, or AppleTalk, and all four and
many others can share the same Ethernet network.

   Samba most certainly does use TCP/IP (I forget the port numbers off
the top of my head), and NetBIOS is one of the mechanisms used over
TCP/IP (Server Message Block - SMB - is another) for Samba to do its
business.

Windows NT was capable of using either TCP/IP, NetBEUI, or IPX/SPX to
establish a functional network in the Microsoft style.  There is
generally no need to use any two of those at once, although mixed
NT/Novell environments that also included Internet connectivity and/or
connectivity to UNIX, VMS, etc. could make use of both IPX/SPX and
TCP/IP, although when you were setting up your NT stuff you'd try to
only bind the necessary services to the respective protocols (IIRC,
you'd bind NetBIOS to just TCP/IP).

Arguably, TCP/IP is one of the clunkier arrangements because you need
separate name resolution and IP address assignment (manual or via
DHCP/BOOTP) mechanisms to make it usable, but it persists because it's
flexible and it works pretty darn well.  There's that pesky host address
space limitation, though...

IIRC, things changed for the better once Novell made it so that you
could have an all-TCP/IP Novell network.

To clarify what I said earlier, NetBEUI is such that routers cannot
selectively pass or block it by source/destination; it's either all-pass
or all-block.  This is why, even if you have as little as one router,
you don't want to rely on NetBEUI for anything because you have no
choice but to have your routers pass it blindly.  You can slog your
whole LAN or WAN up that way - best to just not use it.

The hard part is convincing all-MS people to set up a decent DNS because
when all you know is Windows stuff, all you want to do is WINS and be
done with it.  People with a wider experience base realize that MS tried
to basically make an alternate DNS arrangment that only serviced MS OSses.

- Jeff