[ale] pppoe and dns and Hellsouth DSL

John Wells jbwellsiv at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 10 13:26:35 EST 2001

I've got Bellsouth DSL connected with Roaring Penguin.
 I'm having a problem with DNS lookups.  Bellsouth
pushes these addresses to you via the server, so I
specified "server" in the RP setup.

Watching /var/log/messages, I can see plainly that
these are setup by pppd.  But all pings/dnslookups/etc
fail.

Big conceptual gap here....so I don't know exactly how
to fix it.  I know resolv.conf typically contains the
DNS settings.  How does linux handle it when they're
pushed by the server (btw, they're not automatically
inserted into /etc/resolv.conf)?

If someone can fill this gap, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
John