[ale] Fw: Re: [HP3000-L] OT: Free Linux CDs

rob hoppe hoppe at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 9 00:40:59 EST 2001

Matt Shade wrote:

> This post is from another list...thought someone here might be able to
> answer his RPM question better than I. BTW, swinstall and patch/ix are the
> tools used in HP-UX and MPE for patches and product updates.
>
> matt shade

Swinstall makes things work like RPM but it makes a notation in the software
load tables.  Anyone who looks at it using SWINFO can tell what has been updated
and when.  Patch/ix does the same thing on the 3000.  The machines are identical
hardware wise but different OSes and firmware to keep you from loading MPE/iX on
a HPUX machine.  The HPUX family has exceeded the MPE/iX family and HP has
decided to drop the MPE/iX family after many great years of proprietary systems
leadership.  MPE/iX running Oracle will run 10 times faster than an identical
HPUX box.

Carly has to go for HP to go forward now!

--
_/  Rob Hoppe  (Atlanta)