[ale] fallover DSL connection?

Chris Bergeron cbergeron at bassemail.com
Thu Dec 6 13:32:43 EST 2001

Hi guys, I'm having a bit of a dilemma here...  On my network, I have 2
offices connected via VPN over T1 connections to the 'net.  What I'm
trying to do is setup a DSL fallover such that should either office lose
it's T1 to the internet, that office could begin routing to the internet
via to DSL.  I'm just not sure how to tell the clients to use the new
gateway if the original one goes down.  We're using DHCP by-the-way.
Should I point the clients at a linux server that acts as a switch
(think railroad switch, not Ethernet switch).

A'la:

Clients -> intermediary linux box -> Cisco router/VPN -> Internet

Such that should the T1 go down, the ILB (intermediary linux box) could
route packets out the DSL linux router...?

Is this the best way to go about this?  The part that concerns me is
that the T1 VPN can't play nice with the DSL linux VPN; sooo... both
points would have to switch should only one side go down.  Should I just
drop the CISCO router/VPN and go with a linux only solution?  Doing so
would allow me to have only the satellite office that whom's T1 goes
down, switching their 'net connection.

Triumphs? Or Tribulations? from anyone that's done this?

Much respect,
CB