[ale] DSL again

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Thu Dec 6 11:06:12 EST 2001

Master,

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Master Wizard wrote:

> My DSL provider is in bankruptcy court. Mt account will soon be
> disconnected or switched. I have a DSL router and need a new provider.
> One that provides a static ip (or more) and allows servers. I do not
> need email accounts, storage space, web hosting or any other 'services';
> just the connection. I tried atlnet, but their phone has been
> disconnected and some of their pages haven't been updated since 1999.

> I am checking out telocity. Any other suggestions?

Telocity/DirecTV meets your criteria; their 'fair use' policy asks [last
time I looked] that with a non-commercial account, you only run servers
for non-commercial purposes, not resell services, etc. You can point your
domain name to your static IP, and see and be seen by the world.

You've seen the pros and cons on their performance here, or can find it
in the ALE archives.

Regards -
 John Mills

DISCLAIMER - moderately satisfied Telocity customer, who still misses his
Concentric/XO/NorthPoint SDSL service, even at a cost premium of $20/mo.