[ale] VPN and DNS

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Wed Dec 5 16:24:06 EST 2001

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 07:23:54AM -0500, Chris Fowler wrote:
> I have the VPN running and a DNS server on skylab and mir. Mir servers
> 192.168.1.0 and skylabe 192.168.1.0.  Each DNS server caches and supports
> one domain name.   We'll call it "linuxrulez.com".
> I do not mind maintaining a DNS server at each site.  How can I tell named
> at skylab.linuxrulez.com to check mir.linuxrulez.com if host.linuxrulez.com
> is not in pz/linuxrulez.com.  host.linuxrules.com is 1.6 and not on the 2.0

[bla bla bla, see later]

> subnet.   Is there a statment that I can put in the zone file that will tell
> it to cotact another DNS server for a contnuation of linuzrulez.com.

No.

A DNS server is authoratative for the entirety of a [sub-]domain.  if an
entry does not exist, it does not exist.  While you can forward requests
to another server, that's for things it is non-authorative for.

Besides, unless you have multiple machines with the same name, there's
no reason both ends of that pipe can't hold the same zone files.  And
if you do, then you shouldn't.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy                                    pizzaATfucktheusers.org
I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.                           ICQ# 1318344

 PGP signature