[ale] samba mounts under Mandrake 8.1

Matt Shade mshade at threekay.com
Wed Dec 5 15:30:41 EST 2001

Generally, my samba troubleshooting goes this way:

LOCAL:
- valid smb.conf  -> (testparm and visual inspection)
- valid network   -> (/etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/nsswitch.conf)
- ifconfig   -> (verify lan info)
- ping   -> (by name and IP)
- ps -ef | grep smbd  and nmbd
- permissions on the mount
- smbclient -L localhost
- smbclient \\winbox\share -U user%passwd
- nmblookup -U 127.0.0.1 __SAMBA__  -> (verify nmbd)
- nmblookup -U 127.0.0.1 <sambabox> -> (verify nmbd knows this machine)
- nmblookup -B 192.168.0.255 <sambabox> -> (verifies address of known
address of NETBIOS name)
- nmblookup -B 192.168.0.255 <winbox> -> (verifies we know how to resolve
the name of the winbox)
- nmblookup -A <ip of winbox> -> (verifies we can see the winbox as a
NETBIOS node)

REMOTE (Winbox):
- directories Shared?
- ipconfig /all  -> (verify lan info)
- ping      -> (by name and IP)
- nbtstat -n   -> (verifies what's registered in the NETBIOS)
- nbtstat -A <ip of sambabox>  ->  (verifies we can see it as a NETBIOS
node)
- net view <sambabox>
- net view <winbox>

If I stil haven't found anything, then I'll look in the log files (I keep
mine /var/log). Also, especially when upgrading to a new version, the README
usually spells out any difference, such as the change from SECURITY=USER to
SECURITY=SHARE that screwed a lot of people up.

matt shade
www.threekay.com